Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blast From the Past

Today I was going through my usual routine. Get to work, do a quick stop at some of my favorite websites (check out the blogs I follow, cattle.com, style.com, The Pioneer Woman, Just Jared, Steer Planet, and Facebook) Trust me I know it is a lot.

I always make Facebook my last stop, as sometimes during a slow day it just gets left on. Today while I was catching up, my chat popped up. Much to my surprise it was a friend from the past!
In 2004 I had the privilege to get to travel to Washington D.C for the National 4-H Conference. IT was a trip that I won, and I was there representing Alberta. I will take you down memory lane one day, as it was one of the best trips of my life, but that's a story for another day.

While I was there, I met a fellow 4-Her from North Carolina. His name was Casey, and I called him America. In return he called me Canadia. We got along really well, he taught me all about NCAA Final Four Basketball, and I taught him about how Canada was actually a civilized country, and no we did not drive dog sleds.After the conference we kept in touch. He sent me a package of what North Carolina was like. A Hurricanes flag, a USA dollar bill, a pin of the North Carolina flag, and other little treasures. In return, I sent him what Canada was in a box. Things like a flag, maple syrup, and a Toonie.

Back to my story though. Today the chat message that popped up was from Casey! It had been years since I had talked to him so it really took me my surprise. This is the message that he send:

Once upon a time there was this girl from Canada who sent me a Toonie.
I still have that Toonie in a box that I keep full of good memories.

It completely took me by surprise. I could not believe that a simple gesture like sending a Toonie would be remembered 6 years later. It was a great little reminder that sometimes the smallest gestures mean the most.

3 comments:

4-H Canada said...

It's great to read stories like this one. We're really proud of our national programs, and it's nice to see that they have such a positive impact, both now, and in the future.

Thank you for that read.

RobynBeazley said...

I love stories like this!! Technology and social media are fabulous ;)

Laura Finley said...

Stacy....you should marry this guy.....

(says another blast from the past)